Maintaining a good brain health is pivotal for our overall health and well-being, but little do we know about powerful holistic methods that can help us achieve this. Opposite to what has been thought by now, aging does not always impede the brain function and we are actually capable of bettering our memory, cognition, and mental capacity in adult years completely naturally.
One pivotal aspect is also the consumption of a balanced diet abundant in nutrients like vitamin D. This will enhance the neurogenesis or the process of producing new brain cells.
Vitamin D & Dementia
According to research, there is a strong connection between low levels of vitamin D and Alzheimer’s. This is believed to be a consequence of the vitamin’s ability to keep the brain cells healthy and to better the effectiveness of the glial cells n the restoration of damaged neurons. Vitamin D contains potent neuroprotective effects that decrease the chances for cognitive impairment.
The Importance of Probiotics
Did you know that there are bacteria strains which are good for the brain? Namely, this was shown by a study during which the women who consumed yogurt experienced positive shift in numerous brain parts, including the areas associated with cognition, emotion, and sensory processing.
What about Carotenoids?
Some veggies are rich in carotenoids, i.e. antioxidant compounds present in citrus fruits and lutein and zeaxanthin, found in dark leafy green veggies. These two substances better the vision and avert age-related macular degeneration. Also, they can improve the cognitive health by improving the neural efficiency.
How to Keep the Brain Healthy
- Decrease the consumption of calories
- Regularly fast intermittently
- Consume fewer carbs, including sugar and grains
- Opt for more healthy fats found in olives, coconut and olive oil, free-range eggs, pecans, macadamia, avocados, and Alaskan salmon
- Work out on a regular basis because physical activity is known to enhance the biochemical changes which strengthen the body
- Consume a lower amount of omega-6 fats and eat more omega-3 ones found in foods like krill oil