With certainty, no one likes having blackheads because they make our skin look bad and can lower our self-esteem. In most cases, they develop on the chin, nose, and other facial parts. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, approximately 50 million Americans have problems with blackheads. They are a result of clogged hair follicles. But, what you may not have known by now is that blackheads can also appear in the inside of the ears! The cause will surprise you!
What Causes Blackheads in the Ears?
Earbuds worn frequently are constantly pushing the dirt and wax deeper into the hair follicles of the ear and may consequently trigger the development of blackheads. Moreover, did you know that the sebaceous glands found in the chin and nose that secrete natural oil into the hair follicles for lubrication are also present in the ears?
How to Avert Blackhead Formation in the Ears
- Thoroughly and gently wash the ears during shower
- Do not use headphones excessive
- Clean your phone’s screen to eliminate surplus grease, grit, and grime
- Before you put on headphones, make sure the earbuds are clean
How to Clean Your Earbuds?
- Remove any dust or dirt with a dry toothbrush (brush gently)
- Next, mix a bit of soap and warm water and dip a clean cloth in it and gently clean the earbuds
- For earbuds with removable silicon covers, it is good to remove them and clean them with a cloth and a bit of water (never run them directly under water because they are not waterproof)